Looking for Wisdom takes a minimal approach to collecting data. In other words, the site collects as little data as possible, and is designed for privacy from the ground up.
Who I am
Looking for Wisdom is run by me, Dr. Will Buckingham. I am a freelance writer from the UK, currently based in Sofia, Bulgaria.
What personal data I collect and why I collect it
My approach to data collection is that I collect the minimum amount of data to make this website work, and no more. There are several ways I do this. The main ones are these:
- Ghost: This site runs on the wonderful Ghost, which is designed for privacy. By default, Ghost does not set cookies.
- If you register with the site, Ghost will save your name (or pseudonym) and email address.
- I collect data from the contact form, including your name/pseudonym, email and the content of any message. The contact form collects minimal information, so nothing is recorded other than these details.
Ghost sets cookies only for logged-in members. It does not set cookies for general visitors.
Third parties and your data
Data is shared with other organisations to the minimum extent necessary to provide the services on this website. This includes:
- Payments are processed via Stripe. You can read their GDPR information here.
- Emails are sent through Mailgun's secure sending service. You can read their privacy statement here.
- Analytics data: I collect visitor analytics through Plausible, a privacy-focussed GDPR-compliant alternative to Google Analytics. Unlike Google Analytics, Plausible do not track, collect or store any personal data or personally identifiable information.
How long I retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. If you sign up as a subscriber or member, your data is held on the server, but I will remove it on request.
What rights you have over your data
You can also request that I erase any personal data I hold about you. This does not include any data I am obliged to keep for legal or security purposes.